Auto Accident Injury Treatment Questions and Answers
If you have been in an auto accident, it is important to seek care right away. Come to Ortho OIC Orthopaedic Immediate Care for a professional medical evaluation. Please call us for more information or schedule an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 1701 Clarendon Blvd Suite 120, Arlington, VA 22209.
With millions of vehicles on the road, collisions sometimes occur. Most of the time they are minor, resulting in only mild damage to the vehicle and driver. However, many times injuries from an auto accident seem minor, only to develop into more serious complications later on. That is why it is important to be evaluated by a medical professional after an auto accident, even if you feel fine afterward.
What are some common injuries from auto accidents?
Auto accidents can happen in a number of different ways, and therefore many different kinds of injuries can be sustained. Some of the most common injuries caused by auto accidents include:
- Muscle pain
- Herniated disc
- Back pain
When should I seek medical care for these injuries?
If you have been in an auto accident, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. If the injuries are severe, visit a hospital emergency room. The ER physician may refer you to a specialist or request a follow-up with your primary care physician. If your injuries are not life-threatening, you can visit a doctor later that day or the next day, but always within the first 48 hours. Even if you think you are fine, it is vital to seek medical care. Symptoms of many common auto accident injuries can take days to become apparent, such as whiplash and other soft tissue damage. A medical professional will be able to effectively evaluate your injuries and determine the severity of the damage. They can then help you develop a treatment plan.
How do you treat auto accident injuries?
Auto accident injuries include a wide range of different afflictions, from soft tissue injuries like whiplash to hard tissue injuries like fractures. In order to effectively treat auto accident injuries, we implement several different therapies, including:
- Regenerative medicine — Regenerative medicine is the branch of medicine that seeks to repair damaged tissues and restore function to impaired organs.
- Chiropractic care — One of the first professionals someone will see after an auto accident is a chiropractor. These back-care specialists are experienced at treating pain caused by auto accidents.
- Massage therapy — Often used as a relaxation tool, massage therapy has many therapeutic benefits and can promote the healing of soft tissue injuries.
- Physical rehabilitation therapy — After suffering a debilitating injury that limits one’s mobility and range of motion, physical rehabilitation therapy is commonly utilized to restore function and promote the full dynamic range.
- Trigger Point Injections — Also referred to as TPI, trigger point injections typically consist of a corticosteroid and an anesthetic and are used to treat painful muscle knots known as trigger points.