Golf is a popular sport enjoyed by millions of people around the world. While it is often considered low-impact, golfers are still susceptible to common sports injuries. These golf injuries caused by overuse can range from minor strains to more severe conditions.
1. Back injuries: The repetitive twisting and swinging motions involved in golf can strain the back. Golfers may experience muscle strains, herniated discs, or even stress fractures in the spine.
2. Golfer’s elbow: This condition causes pain and inflammation on the inner side of the elbow. It is caused by overuse of the muscles and tendons in the forearm, often due to poor swing mechanics or gripping the club too tightly.
3. Wrist injuries: The repetitive nature of the golf swing can lead to wrist injuries such as tendonitis or sprains. These injuries can occur in both the lead and trailing wrists and may result from improper swing mechanics or hitting the ground during the swing.
4. Shoulder injuries: The powerful rotation and force generated during the golf swing can lead to shoulder injuries, including rotator cuff tears, impingement syndrome, or strains. Shoulder injuries can cause pain and limit a golfer’s range of motion.
5. Knee injuries: Golfers who walk long distances on uneven terrain are prone to knee injuries. Conditions like meniscus tears, patellar tendinitis, or ligament damage can occur due to repetitive stress on the knee.
If you experience an injury on the course, a sports medicine urgent care can help. An urgent care visit provides an initial assessment and pain relief from golf injuries caused by overuse. Cortisone shots help relieve the pain and inflammation from golf injuries caused by overuse and get you healing towards your next 18-holes soon. OrthoOIC is a sports medicine urgent care offering efficient and expert medical care for common sports injuries in the Washington metro communities of Arlington, Falls Church, Fairfax, Alexandria, and more.